Installing codecs and decryption
Most commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (the Content Scrambling System), which attempts to restrict the software that can play a DVD. By installing the libdvdcss2 package you can play encrypted DVDs. To get it installed you need to follow these steps:
- Open a terminal by Select Applications->Accesories->Terminal from the Ubuntu desktop, or by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1.
- Type this set of commands:
sudo apt-get install -y libdvdread3 sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh
If you got to the terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1, and you came from the Ubuntu desktop, get back to it by pressing Alt+F7. If you got to it from within LinuxMCE, get back to it by pressing Alt+F11.
Optionally, there is an add software tab in the 'media director' portion of the setup wizard, which usually lets you add libdvdcss entirely within LMCE using only the remote control. We say 'usually' because LinuxMCE doesn't include this software since it's not legal in all areas, and this software appears only if the add software wizard was able to locate this software by doing google searches.
- Insert a Video DVD in the LinuxMCE drive to test it ;)
Playing WMV, WMA, and RealPlayer formats
Support for WMV, RealMedia and other formats has been bundled into the w32codecs package. This package is not available from the Ubuntu repositories or supported by Ubuntu, due to licensing and legal restrictions. You can download the package from debian-multimedia.org:
wget -c http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/w/w32codecs/w32codecs_20061022-0.0_i386.deb sudo dpkg -i w32codecs_20061022-0.0_i386.deb
- Note: The w32codecs package from the Debian repositories have been tested and work with Ubuntu systems however not all Debian packages will work correctly with Ubuntu, so for your safety do not add Debian repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list
- WMV files encoded with DRM (Digital Rights Management) cannot be played with this package.
- If you are experiencing choppy audio when playing WMV files, try [the fix described here].
- If you still cannot play WMV files after installing w32codecs, try [the method suggested here].