Nokia 770 Orbiter
|This page was written by Pluto and imported with their permission when LinuxMCE branched off in February, 2007. In general any information should apply to LinuxMCE. However, this page should be edited to reflect changes to LinuxMCE and remove old references to Pluto.|
First of all this is work in progress so don't expect the orbiter to be fully functional at full speed on this tablet. There are some known bugs so far:
- It will only run on OS 2005 for now so don't try to install this on newer firmware versions
- TTF rendering is not working so you won't see any text when browsing you media files :(
- Crashing and working a little slow
Installing OS 2005 on Nokia 770
Since Pluto Orbiter won't run on firmware version newer that SO 2005, you'll need to get that firmware version installed before you begin.
To check you current firmware version you can go to : MainMenu -> Control Panel -> Device -> About Product. There it should say 'Version: 3.2005...". If you already have this version installed then you can skip to next paragraph, else follow up this steps to get it installed.
The next steps are copy pasted from [maemo wiki] and adapted to meet you needs :
Beware that flashing a new image on the Nokia 770 will remove all user changes to the system, including preferences, bookmarks, news feeds, user installed applications, ... Everything not on the memory card will be gone and the device will behave as if just purchased with the single exception that any previously-set lock code will be kept and not reset to the factory-default of "12345" (even the code is not preserved on some images).
- PC: Download the Linux flasher at [maemo.org]
- PC: In the same directory download the image you want: [Nokia_770_3.2005.51-13.bin]
- 770: Unplug charger and switch off the Nokia 770. Connect it to your computer via USB
- PC: Execute as root (or as a normal user with rights to use the USB port):
./flasher-2.0 -F Nokia_770_3.2005.51-13.bin -f -R
- PC: "Suitable USB device not found, waiting" is displayed on the console
- 770: Now plug in the charger to switch on the 770 or switch it on using the power button WHILE holding the Home-button
- PC: Watch the messages as the image loads to the 770 after which it reboots automatically -- you're done now!
Installing and Running Orbiter on Nokia 770
Configuring the Core
- Open up a web admin interface, go to Orbiter page and add a new device of type 'Orbiter'
- Locate the newly added device and change the resolution to 640x480 as the Nokia 770 won't support the default of 800x600
- Memorize the numeric id that pluto assigns to your new orbiter since you'll need it later, you can see it right of the 'Description' filed on the same page.
- Do a full regen of that orbiter and a quick reload router after that
Configuring the Tablet
- Setup you wireless connection. To use your tablet as an orbiter you'll need to make sure that the tablet is located within the internal network of the core.
- Upload the deb package to you tablet using the usb cable or by downloading it directly from our website. You can fetch the deb file [here]
- Install it by double clicking on the deb file in file manager.
Starting the Orbiter
- There is no easy way to start you orbiter yet, and you'll need an X terminal emulator to do this task. If you don't have it yet installed, download the osso-xterm deb package from [fs-security.com] and install it on you tablet the same way you installed the pluto orbiter package.
- Open up an xterminal using nokia 770's main menu: Extras -> X Terminal
- Make sure the network connection is available
- Type this in the terminal to start you orbiter
/var/lib/install/bin/startOrbiter.sh -r <ROUTER_INTERNAL_IP> -d <ORBITER_ID>
You can also start the orbiter with verbose logging to debug possible problems, but this will bring a slowdown in orbiter's screen changing :
/var/lib/install/bin/startOrbiterVerbose.sh -r <ROUTER_INTERNAL_IP> -d <ORBITER_ID>
For getting help and troubleshooting possible problems related to nokia 770 and pluto you can always talk to other users the [forum] and don't forget that this is still WiP.