Quick Start Guides
|This page was written by Pluto and imported with their permission when LinuxMCE branched off in February, 2007. In general any information should apply to LinuxMCE. However, this page should be edited to reflect changes to LinuxMCE and remove old references to Pluto.|
You'll find setting up Pluto is very quick, simple and easy. Just follow the 5 quick start guides, and then see the What can I do with Pluto? and how to do it guide:
1. Picking the right components explains what kind of PC hardware and accessories we recommend.
2. Installing the hardware shows you how to connect everything.
3. Installing the software. Skip this if you bought a Pluto system from a dealer. If you're installing Pluto on your own PC's, this document explains how to install it. Don't worry, it's really easy. The kick-start CD will take about 45 minutes to install, but you don't have to do anything but relax.
4. Tell Pluto about your home is the best part. Instead of requiring weeks of programming like all the other smart home solutions, this shows you how to use our Pluto Admin wizard. In about 2 hours you can have everything setup--the whole-house media server, full control all your lights, climate, and tv/hi-fi gear, the phone system, follow-me, everything. It's quick, painless, and non-technical.
5. Using Pluto. In 10 minutes you'll be up to speed and using all of Pluto's features.
6. Pluto can do all sorts of things that are not immediately apparent. So once you finish 1-5, take a glance at What can I do with Pluto? It has links to how-to pages, and Programmer's guide for developers wishing to expand on Pluto.
To see a list of common problems and their solutions, check troubleshooting
We had to leave some basic features out of the free version due to licensing issues. You may see the list of available additional software modules in the section "Add Software" of your configuration interface. If you purchase a pre-built Pluto system, some or all of these technologies may be licensed and the license fee built into the purchase price. Before contacting Pluto support to ask why something doesn't work, please refer to that site so you know what features were left out intentionally. Note that Pluto does not encourage, endorse or support users adding 3rd party modules that have legal issues. If you choose to add 3rd party modules we suggest you first confirm they are legal in your area.