UPnP Server Notes
The UPnP service provided by fuppesd is used to serve all the media on a LinuxMCE system to a UPnP client. BUT, right now, the UPnP service does not know, when things change. Whenever media is added to the system, the fuppesd database need to be rebuild.
Rebuilding UPnP Database
To rebuild the UPnP database, the web admin provides the UPnP page under Advanced / UPnP Server. Under Options click on Rebuild Database, to update the upnp database with current list of files in the system.
Hopefully, this will change in the future, and there is going to be a tie between UpdateMedia and the UPnP server.
Development changes for UPnP server in LMCE
We are working on a replacement that will be better integrated with LinuxMCE. The proposed server is MediaTomb.
MediaTomb have several functions that do not exist in fuppes.
- It support mySQL.
- Support for transcoding.
- Will have support for streaming of ISO files in version 0.12
- Transcoding can be scripted.
- Bad support for Xbox360. Open question? I guess we cannot have good support for everything.
Add information that are nice to know during the time we integrate MediaTomb.
UpdateMedia is probably the best place to integrate another media server in.
All logic to handle new, modified and deleted media files are already in UpdateMedia.
We can extend the basic configuration file handling in UpdateMedia to handle UPnP config too.
- Map sql statements that MediaTomb use.
- Add media file.
- Remove media file.
- Modify existing media file.
- Handle metadata for media files. MediaTomb scan for it itself. We need to override that functionality to be sure metadata prestend in lmce correspond to metadata presented to UPnP clients.
- Disable webUI in MediaTomb. We only need one way to add media files.
- Document main loop in UpdateMedia. Partially done. Need to add it here or in UpdateMedia wiki page.