History about my Digital Home
After I read a Artikel in the german c't 23/2002 (  Sonderwege von Georg Schnurer ) a Success Story about a Digital Home Implementation, it was clear for me that someday I also want something like this.
I will write here about my experiences installing a LinuxMCE Server, I hope this time I will have success. I also want to share my Expirense to other users who maybe want to do the same.
The Development System should be a Playground to learn what can LinuxMCE and what not. I try to do a Hybrid Setup with a old PC. It's clear for me that it's not for production use, but before I invest more Money I d'like to have a complet LinuxMCE Solution up and running.
At my Home I have a Internet Connection to my local Cableprovider with a Bride, my Firewall is a Pfsense with 3 Interfaces ( WAN,LAN,WLAN ). This Firewall is my Defaultrouter. At the LAN Side I have a central Server with all necessary services ( DHCP, DNS Forward, ftp, smb,nfs,ntp, ) on a old Proliant. Now i have connected the LinuxMCE dev. Server Orion with the external NIC to this LAN and the other NIC is then the LinuxMCE Standard Net ( with the IP Range 192.168.80/24 )
Target is to setup the LinuxMCE dev. Server with MythTV and all other Services. I want live TV, scheduling and DVD / Video ripping, etc.
- Mainboard: Elitegroup K8M800-M2
- CPU: AMD Sempron 2200
- Memory: 512 MB DDR RAM
- HDD: 80 GB
- NIC: Dual GB Nic, NC304
- TV-Card ( DVB-C ): Mystique CaBiX-C2, DVB-C, HDTV / Mystique View CI-Interface (f. 1 CAM) PCI und 3.5" Variante / Conax CAM (Rev. 1.2) - 4.00e by Smit ( from dvbshop )
- TV-Card ( analog ): Hauppauge PVR-350
Hybrid Network Overview
Internet | | Firewall (def GW) ------( WLAN;192.168.Y ) | (LAN;192.168.X ) | ---------------|------------------------------------------------------------------ | | | LAN Server | Clients ( PC,Laptops, etc ) ( DHCP,DNS,nfs,smb,etc) | LinuxMCE dev Server Orion ( DHCP,Mythtv, Asterisk,etc ) | (LinuxMCE Net;192.168.80.0 ) | | ( LinuxMCE Test equipment )
Hybrid Install Logbook
-- Markab 22:01, 5 January 2009 (CET)
- after check out the Forum I decide to go with a DVD Installation I download the i386 and the amd64 images from the torrent mirrors describe on the Wikipage Mirrors 710
- With this DVD I was not able to do a Installation, stops every time right at the beginning. The question about the Harddisk overwrite does not come up.
- Luck that I found the DVD that provide Hari to me, with this DVD the Installation I was able to start the 32bit Installation and finish it.
- I try to follow this Installation Guide
Setup Production ( Planed )
Because my File Server is near EOL ( it's a old ML530 with Pentium3 in ) I will probably buy a HP ProLiant ML115 Generation 5 (G5). But this new Server has no PCI Slots anymore. Because it should be the Core, I need min. 2 Slots for the DVB-C Cards. At ARP I found a Expansion Box, PCI-E to PCI, with 4 Slots, that should fit my needs.
- SlimDevices_Squeezebox 3
- Popcornhour NMT Mediaplayers A-110
- First TV is a small one for the Fitness room maybe a Sony, because they have DVB-C Tuner link Sony KDL-26E4000