History about my Digital Home
After I read a Artikel in the german c't 23/2002 (  Sonderwege von Georg Schnurer ) a Success Story about a Digital Home Implementation, it was clear for me that someday I also want something like this.
I will write here about my experiences installing a LinuxMCE Server, I hope this time I will have success. I also want to share my Expirense to other users who maybe want to do the same.
The Development System should be a Playground to learn what can LinuxMCE and what not. I try to do a Hybrid Setup with a old PC. It's clear for me that it's not for production use, but before I invest more Money I d'like to have a complet LinuxMCE Solution up and running.
At my Home I have a Internet Connection to my local Cableprovider with a Bride, my Firewall is a Pfsense with 3 Interfaces ( WAN,LAN,WLAN ). This Firewall is my Defaultrouter. At the LAN Side I have a central Server with all necessary services ( DHCP, DNS Forward, ftp, smb,nfs,ntp, ) on a old Proliant. Now i have connected the LinuxMCE dev. Server Orion with the external NIC to this LAN and the other NIC is then the LinuxMCE Standard Net ( with the IP Range 192.168.80/24 )
Target is to setup the LinuxMCE dev. Server with MythTV and all other Services. I want live TV, scheduling and DVD / Video ripping, etc.
- Mainboard: Elitegroup K8M800-M2
- CPU: AMD Sempron 2200
- Memory: 512 MB DDR RAM
- HDD: 80 GB
- NIC: Dual GB Nic, NC304
- TV-Card ( DVB-C ): Mystique CaBiX-C2, DVB-C, HDTV / Mystique View CI-Interface (f. 1 CAM) PCI und 3.5" Variante / Conax CAM (Rev. 1.2) - 4.00e by Smit ( from dvbshop )
- TV-Card ( analog ): Hauppauge PVR-350
Hybrid Network Overview
Internet | | Firewall (def GW) ------( WLAN;192.168.Y ) | (LAN;192.168.X ) | ---------------|------------------------------------------------------------------ | | | LAN Server | Clients ( PC,Laptops, etc ) ( DHCP,DNS,nfs,smb,etc) | LinuxMCE dev Server Orion ( DHCP,Mythtv, Asterisk,etc ) | (LinuxMCE Net;192.168.80.0 ) | | ( LinuxMCE Test equipment )
Hybrid Install Logbook
-- Markab 22:01, 5 January 2009 (CET)
- after check out the Forum I decide to go with a DVD Installation I download the i386 and the amd64 images from the torrent mirrors describe on the Wikipage Mirrors 710
- With this DVD I was not able to do a Installation, stops every time right at the beginning. The question about the Harddisk overwrite does not come up.
- Luck that I found the DVD that provide Hari to me, with this DVD the Installation I was able to start the 32bit Installation and finish it.
- I try to follow this Installation Guide and found than the DVD Install Guide DVD Installation
- During the Installation I add my Monitor over the S-Video Connector from the PVR-350 but nothing appear. Only the VGA works. In the AV Wizard it is not clar for me what sort of connection should i take and why my TV-out from the PVR-350 does not work.
- I hear the sound and also did the House Setup Wizard, but I did not modify the Network as describe in the DVD Install Page ( found it to late )
- MythTV don't work, not clear for me howto setup my TV - Cards ( digital DVB-C and analog PVR-350 )
- Connection to Internet don't work, so I also can't update my Installation or install the DVD restricted Drivers
- remote connection from my lAN don't work, not clear what is wrong IP / routing ok
- check Graphikcard to support min. UI2 medium, maybe new Card needed
- Mediadirector needed to check LinuxMCE functonality
processor : 0 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD cpu family : 15 model : 44 model name : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ stepping : 2 cpu MHz : 1599.909 cache size : 256 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 1 wp : yes flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts ttp tm stc bogomips : 3203.50 clflush size : 64
00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01) Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17 Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M] Capabilities:  Power Management version 2 00:0a.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01) Subsystem: KNC One Unknown device 0022 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20 Memory at ea0c0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60) Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems Unknown device 1877 Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 21 I/O ports at e400 [size=256] Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA]) Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems Unknown device 1b45 Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16 Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M] Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] [virtual] Expansion ROM at e9000000 [disabled] [size=64K] Capabilities:  Power Management version 2 Capabilities:  AGP version 3.0
Summary Frist Day:
It's always really frustrating if you don't get any success. But I don't want to give up and try it again. If someone can give me a hint I really appreciate that! Thx Mike
Next steps: Wiki pages to check:
- DVD Installation
- Use a satellite/cable box with the PVR
- LinuxMCE Admin Website
- Selecting the Right UI
- Outside Access
-- Markab 12:40, 6 January 2009 (CET)
found new Wikipage Alx9r's Sample Setup
-- Markab 00:48, 8 January 2009 (CET)
Finished the DVD Installation Setup with the Networkpart, also deactivate the firewall. Does not lock like it would help. I get some initial DHCP IP, also routing locks OK, but I can't ping my server and also have no access to the internet. There is a program after the DHCP - Client that change something.
-- Markab 22:56, 18 January 2009 (CET)
Found also some strange problems with liveTV and records ( lost some frames and audio is bad --> http://email@example.com/msg08237.html, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa3xOSdJc2w ) Maybe a performance Problem on my AMD Sempron Testbox, do a complet reinstallation on my Desktop ( Intel Q6600 with 4GB Memory ) but don't help.
-- Markab 21:12, 19 January 2009 (CET)
Ok got it! It was the Conax CI Modul. After check the Signal strength over my cable modem I go to my provider and he check the conax module in a TV. My Conax CI has some Problem with some TV Station that are modulate on some Channel ( not really clear for me, have to check that later ) This is a known Problem ! The only Conax CI that works for my Provider is the Techisat Technicrypt CX Module ( Art-Nr.: 941304-62 ~100 CHF ex. www.conrad.ch ) Also my DVB-C Card from Satelco does not work, also not with this new Conax CI Card. Only the Mystique CaBiX-C2 works now OK. Also HD does work but need hugh CPU load, some Channels crash immediately.
Some Strange Errors left --> DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn. No Idea what's that
2009-01-19 20:49:10.201 New DB connection, total: 1 2009-01-19 20:49:10.226 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost 2009-01-19 20:49:10.227 Closing DB connection named 'DBManager0' 2009-01-19 20:49:10.232 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost 2009-01-19 20:49:10.236 New DB connection, total: 2 2009-01-19 20:49:10.244 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost 2009-01-19 20:49:10.248 Current Schema Version: 1214 2009-01-19 20:49:10.353 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(4101) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.356 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(4106) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.357 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(5101) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.475 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(3535) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.475 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(4102) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.479 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(4178) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.587 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(4061) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.588 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(4103) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.593 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(5099) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.701 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(4105) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.702 DTVSM(0) Error: Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(5100) desired(4100) 2009-01-19 20:49:10.969 Finished recording Der Rauch der Träume: channel 5100 2009-01-19 20:49:11.987 Finished recording Der Rauch der Träume: channel 5100 2009-01-19 20:49:11.999 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 3.0 GB w/freq: 15 min 2009-01-19 20:49:12.058 Using runtime prefix = /usr 2009-01-19 20:49:12.060 Empty LocalHostName. 2009-01-19 20:49:12.061 Using localhost value of antares 2009-01-19 20:49:12.065 New DB connection, total: 1 2009-01-19 20:49:12.069 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost 2009-01-19 20:49:12.070 Closing DB connection named 'DBManager0' 2009-01-19 20:49:12.072 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost 2009-01-19 20:49:12.076 New DB connection, total: 2 2009-01-19 20:49:12.080 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost 2009-01-19 20:49:12.084 Current Schema Version: 1214 2009-01-19 20:49:12.090 Preview Error: Previewer file '/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/5100_20090119204909.mpg' is not valid. 2009-01-19 20:49:12.093 Preview Error: Run() file not local: '/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/5100_20090119204909.mpg' 2009-01-19 20:49:12.104 Preview Error: Preview process not ok. fileinfo(/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/5100_20090119204909.mpg.png) exists: 0 readable: 0 size: 0 2009-01-19 20:49:12.685 AFD: Opened codec 0x218c8b0, id(MPEG2VIDEO) type(Video) 2009-01-19 20:49:12.688 AFD: codec MP3 has 2 channels 2009-01-19 20:49:12.689 AFD: Opened codec 0x218cd90, id(MP3) type(Audio) 2009-01-19 20:49:12.730 Preview: Grabbed preview '/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/5069_20090119204859.mpg' 720x576@64s
Also some Channels locks like they don't have EPG data.
-- Markab 23:29, 20 January 2009 (CET)
Ups Channels where not set to get EPG, now it's OK. Just have to buy a Frontend for testing on my TV.
Setup Production ( Planed )
Because my File Server is near EOL ( it's a old ML530 with Pentium3 in ) I will probably buy a HP ProLiant ML115 Generation 5 (G5). But this new Server has no PCI Slots anymore. Because it should be the Core, I need min. 2 Slots for the DVB-C Cards. At ARP I found a Expansion Box, PCI-E to PCI, with 4 Slots, that should fit my needs.
here a possible Solution for a MythTV Frontend / LinuxMCE Media Director
- Case: SilverStone Desktop Gehäuse SST-LC19S-R 
- Case addon: Gehäuse Zusatzlüfter ebmpapst 0412FM 
- Mainboard: ASUS M3N78-EM 
- CPU: CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+/2600MHz 
- CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 8000 
- Memory: Kingston Memory DDR2 2GB Kit PC2-6400 (2x 1GB) 800MHz 
- HDD: HDD Travelstar 5K320 2.5" 320GB SATA-II 
- HDD Addon: equip SATA und Power in einem Kabel 
- DVD: DVD-Brenner 8x Slim S-ATA bulk schwarz 
- Bluetooth: Trust BT-2400P 
- Keyboard: Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro für PS3 
- SlimDevices_Squeezebox 3
- Popcornhour NMT Mediaplayers A-110
- First TV is a small one for the Fitness room maybe a Sony, because they have DVB-C Tuner link Sony KDL-26E4000