Difference between revisions of "Installing 1004"
(→New Alpha Installer - not yet ready for general use)
|Line 51:||Line 51:|
# Run the following:
# Run the following:
Revision as of 06:03, 13 September 2011
Installing LinuxMCE-1004 is a fairly easy process that involves:
"THIS VERSION IS CURRENTLY UNDER DEVELOPMENT. IT KIND OF WORKS, BUT MAY DRIVE YOU INSANE. :)"
"PACKAGES ARE BEING BUILT, BUT WE HAVE ONLY BEGUN TO DEBUG THE ISSUES PRESENT. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU WISH TO FIX BUGS, AND WILL FIX BUGS WITH US. THANKS."
"WE WILL NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR THIS VERSION AT THIS TIME. DO NOT ASK. IF YOU CAN'T FIX STUFF, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU."
Since this is a pre-release version, we need your help to make it better. If you notice a problem, please do not just add a workaround here. Create a ticket in trac with plenty of detail on what the issue is and how to reproduce it, as well as any information you have on how to fix it. If there is a workaround, it is ok to post it here as long as you link to the ticket you just created.
- Installing Kubuntu 1004
- Updating Kubuntu 1004
- Installing LinuxMCE-1004 on top of the updated Kubuntu 1004
Before proceeding its wise to read the FAQ. Because of the fact that its a delicate installation small things make a huge difference.
Please see below for details on Internet Installation and DVD Installation methods.
Note: an active internet connection is required regardless of installation method.
- Install Lucid Lynx desktop and update it. (download Kubuntu 1004 desktop release from http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/10.04/kubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-i386.iso
Currently, only the 32bit version of LinuxMCE is available. Only download the i386 version of 1004 Kubuntu, even if your system can support 64bit versions. Note: If Kubuntu asks whether you would like to install/activate 'Restricted Drivers' for your video card, ignore it and continue to step 2.
- Run aptitude update and aptitude dist-upgrade to get the latest Kubuntu updates.
- Grab the latest installer script from SVN, unpack them and change into the freshly created new-installer directory.
- Run the following scripts (as root, in order): pre-install-from-repo.sh, mce-install.sh, post-install.sh.
- Reboot, wait for the activity to stop (see progress on console 8).
In other words, after installing Kubuntu:
sudo -i #This might ask for the password you specified earlier during the install of kubuntu. apt-get update apt-get -y dist-upgrade apt-get -y install subversion svn co http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-1004/src/new-installer cd new-installer ./pre-install-from-repo.sh ./mce-install.sh ./post-install.sh reboot
- For Ui-2 with alpha blending* - open a shell and type xfwm4-tweaks-settings. Look for compositing and make sure its enabled. Otherwise compositing will not function properly. (will be corrected when http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1211 is applied)
If you have problems running Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh, check this article.
If you then have problems netbooting your diskless media directors because you are receiving the error message "Diskless Setup Failed", check this article.
New Alpha Installer - not yet ready for general use
- Install Kubuntu 1004 as above
- Run the following:
sudo -i wget http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-1004/src/new-installer/donotuse_mce-install.sh && chmod +x donotuse_mce-install.sh ./donotuse_mce-install.sh
Keeping Up-to-date with updates
Note It is strongly recommended that you do not update/upgrade a stable, working system. Also check /etc/apt/sources.list for accuracy after install. user:L3mce
Once you have installed LinuxMCE-1004, all you need to do to keep up-to-date with the latest and greatest, is run the following from a terminal on the core and each MD:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
Note: You should NOT run apt-get dist-upgrade after LinuxMCE is installed, as it can cause several problems, including having different kernel versions on your core and media directors, and the installation of new Kubuntu packages that can break some features!
- The diskless image kernel package has a broken dependency.
- Orbiter and OrbiterGen might race a bit
- at least in one occasion the UI1 Orbiter didn't come back from the screen saver when keys and mouse were pressed