Since this is a pre-release version, we need your help to make it better. If you notice a problem, please do not just add a workaround here. Create a ticket in trac with plenty of detail on what the issue is and how to reproduce it, as well as any information you have on how to fix it. If there is a workaround, it is ok to post it here as long as you link to the ticket you just created.
Installing LinuxMCE-1004 is a fairly easy process that involves:
- Installing Kubuntu 1004
- Updating Kubuntu 1004
- Installing LinuxMCE-1004 on top of the updated Kubuntu 1004
Before proceeding its wise to read the FAQ. Because of the fact that it's a delicate installation small things make a huge difference.
Please see below for details on Internet Installation and DVD Installation methods.
Note: an active internet connection is required regardless of installation method.
DVD Installation is still in Beta Testing release. You can find a release image at this page; http://linuxmce.iptp.org/release/ . Every now and then, a new snapshot arises with updates on the install process. You can see which snapshot will result in a working installation at this page http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Snapshot_overview. If you encounter a working or broken snapshot please report it on that page and make a trac ticket about identifiable bugs.
- Boot the DVD and select install LinuxMCE 1004
- Let LinuxMCE 1004 install run through, and restart when prompted
- Follow the steps in the AV-wizard
You can download latest snapshot here http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/
The advantage over internet installation it is much more simple installation process, e.g. the "Diskless Image" is already created so no need to run Diskless_SetupTBZ.sh.
- Install Lucid Lynx desktop and update it. (download Kubuntu 1004 desktop release from http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/10.04/kubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-i386.iso
Currently, only the 32bit version of LinuxMCE is available. Only download the i386 version of 1004 Kubuntu, even if your system can support 64bit versions. Note: If Kubuntu asks whether you would like to install/activate 'Restricted Drivers' for your video card, ignore it and continue to step 2.
- Grab the latest installer script from our servers. (changed to 1004 user:L3mce)
- Run the following script (as root): mce-install.sh
- Reboot, wait for the activity to stop (see progress on console).
In other words, after installing Kubuntu:
- Run the following:
sudo -i wget -q http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-1004/src/new-installer/mce-install.sh && chmod +x mce-install.sh ./mce-install.sh reboot
If you have problems running Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh, check this article. Otherwise please log a trac ticket.
If you then have problems netbooting your diskless media directors because you are receiving the error message "Diskless Setup Failed", check this article.
Keeping Up-to-date with updates
Note It is strongly recommended that you do not update/upgrade a stable, working system. Also check /etc/apt/sources.list for accuracy after install. user:L3mce
Once you have installed LinuxMCE-1004, all you need to do to keep up-to-date with the latest and greatest, is run the following from a terminal on the core and each MD:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
Note: You should NOT run apt-get dist-upgrade after LinuxMCE is installed, as it can cause several problems, including having different kernel versions on your core and media directors, and the installation of new Kubuntu packages that can break some features!
- The diskless image kernel package has a broken dependency.
- Orbiter and OrbiterGen might race a bit
- at least in one occasion the UI1 Orbiter didn't come back from the screen saver when keys and mouse were pressed