(Adapted from "Installation Issues" forum post Re: My LinuxMCE Problems.)
I (chuckfox) currently have the latest beta (at February 03, 2008, 04:43:53 am 0710b3) running as a hybrid with a PCHDTV-5500 installed. I am by no means a linux expert, but playing with linuxmce has helped me alot.
Cheap ECS MOBO + intel dual core + 1 gig mem + 120gig PATA hard drive + PCHDTV-5500
- After a fresh install I navigate to the KDE desktop, then open up a terminal to add a line to /etc/modules to load the cx88-dvb module on startup.
- Heres the line to type into the terminal to bring the file up for modification.
- This will bring up /etc/modules which is mostly empty. Add the line below on a new line and save the file.
- After saving the file I then goto settings and click on MythTV Backend Setup -mythtv-setup.
- This will get you a dialog box that will tell you that you need to be added to a user group(Not sure of the exact wording here).
- Click OK. At this point reboot your machine. (You can use "sudo reboot" without the quotes, at the command line.)
- After reboot navigate to the KDE desktop and goto settings and click on MythTV Backend Setup -mythtv-setup.
- You should be able to enter mythtvsetup at this point and set up capture cards.
- Set up capture card -You want to pick DVB DTV capture card(v3.x) NOT pcHDTV DTV capture card(w/V4L drivers).
- When done you should see a capture card [DVB:0] listed.
- Set up a video source. I have two video sources, one is Digital and one is analog. I subscride to SchedulesDirect to grab the channel data. For both, the Channel frequency table is set to us-cable. (I'm not sure about the PCHDTV-3000, but the 5500 has digital and analog tuners).
- Set up Input Connections. I set up two connections Digital and analog.
- Digital: choose [DVB:0](DVBInput) -> Digital, add the digital video source you created earlier. Click scan for channels. Select; full scan, cable high, Cable (QAM-256) [If you are connected to cable, otherwise pick the one that applies to you], I like the period to seperate channels and Minimal Updates as the last option.
- Click next and you should see Scan progress with a mostly(hopefully) full signal meter. Let the scan finish and move on to the analog channels.
- Analog: choose [V4L:dev/video0](Televison) ->analog, add the analog video source you created earlier. Same process as digital, only scan for cable instead of cable high. This scan should run alot quicker. After both scans I click Fetch channels from listing source, to add the channel data.
- This should get your card working if there are no other conflicts. Here are some things that caught me up along the way.
- The admin password for the latest beta is linuxmce. You will need to input this a few times, it took me a few minutes of RTFM to find this one.
- For some reason when exiting myth backend setup the dialog box that asks if I would like to run mythfilldatabase, would not run mythfilldatabase when clicking OK. To resolve this, open a command line and type sudo mythfilldatabase to run the program.