Porting 0710 0804
Problems and Steps for 0804
1. Build dependencies are not installed. The list with packages need for building linuxmce needs to be updated from one release to another so you can have the dependencies installed on the build machine. There is no automaticall tool for doing this and is a time consuming task when package name changes and split as you need to wait for the build to fain to intstall other packages.
2. New release in linuxmce database. For every release/distro you need to add a bunch entries in the linuxmce database. First you need to update the 'Distro' table then all the Packages related tables. Linuxmce uses the database at build time when creating deb packages for depencies and later at install time to install those dependecies, add repositories and so on. Since on every release some packages tend to change names or split/merge into others, updating the packages tables is time consuming and as you need to do some install / fix cycles before figure them out.
3. Download packages that will go on CD1/CD2 . Same problem: packages rename, split/merge will result in dificulties of updating the list of packages that will be needed on CD1/CD2. A depency wallker that walks the dependicies from the Packages table will not do the trick as the database is bloated with packages that will never install on a real system and will cause the size of downloaded packages to increase too much. CD1/CD2 contains the packages needed to satisfy install time depencies of LinuxMCE.
4. The scripts which creates the deboostrap diskless image needed to be updated and switch from 'gutsy' to 'hurdy'. I've not changed is so that will work on any ubunutu realase from now on without any modification.
5. There is no centralized way to fetch the skins / pluto sample media files. I created a internal rsync public repository to fix this but this copying needs to be done by hand for now. Usually you find out about this problem when some pacakges fail to create => more time lost.
6. Updating the replacements dependencies: There are some deb-scr packages in trunk/ubuntu. The debs created from this ones are not found in ubuntu but are needed by linuxmce. Since the package rename split/merge affects them too, they need to be updated.
7. Related to 6, Lib simple phone that we used with 0710 no longer compiles on 0804 as it uses some old headers. So the makefile for Pluto Simple Phone need to changes to use the new version that is available in ubuntu. It's depencies needs to be update in the database so it will not try to install the unbuild package. Also the simple phone code needs to be updates to compile and run with the new lib.
8. Need to find a new version of vmware that runs file in 0804 and install a kubuntu on it so we can use it as a start point for a dvd creating machine. This steps are detailed in Building_LinuxMCE
9. A kubuntu 0804 bootable cd needs to be striped down so it can be used as a starting point for the dvd. This steps are detailed in Building_LinuxMCE
10. sqlCVS seams to stop working correctly on creating a sqlcvsdump file => the database packages fails to install. A script that copies the sqlcvsdumps from older 0710 build machines (if you're lucky to have one). This lead to a lot of problems with the first build as it contained a older sqldump which didn't had the changes of the Packages / Distro tables.
11. Diskless image failes to crete because of some missing packages. This missing packages have no source in our svn and are imported from other developers / companies: slimserver, vdr, zwave, myth...
12. Try to make a list of package from #11 and find out if we have debs for 0804. Some of them aren't so easy to find.
13. Manually update the database of the build system to fix some dependencies. Our previous sqlcvs local server that we used to do this changes just failed. Until somebody 'A..' comes with some info on how to do a sqlcvs sync I can't touch the database in the main repository (pluto-mythtv). Need to be redone when i can do a sqlsync.
14. Found out that asterisk-pluto was hardcoded on a specific version of zaptel kernel modules that are not loger available in 0804. Fixed by updating it's depenncies.
15. Intial linux image the md's boot in order to annouce theirselfs needs to be update to macth 0804's kernel version.