User:JoakimL

From LinuxMCE
Revision as of 21:35, 7 January 2011 by JoakimL (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Who am I

I'm a long time IT guy from Sweden, started programming at age 9, first Unix exposure in -93 (NetBSD) and soon after also some Linux. I've done loads of system programming on IBM mainframe, S/38, AS/400, MS-DOS, Windows C++/DCOM, heavy duty Java J2EE on Linux, you name it. Most of it having to do with communications and middleware; actually I've developed something similar to DCE in the 80s and 90s... ;-) Today I'm an Enterprise Architect but try to get some dirt under the nails by digging in the dirt, I mean Linux.


-Joakim aka JoakimL on the forums and in IRC


Hardware

Media Directors

Moon39

AsRock 330 ION HT

  • Intel Atom 330 dual core
  • 2 GB main memory
  • Hauppauge USB-DVB Nova-T Stick (DBV-T) (with HD support! I can receive DR DH from Denmark. Some lagging, but very good picture quality)
  • Ping IT IR receiver
  • MS MCE Remote (Branded AsRock)

Problems:

  • Onboard IR receiver not supported by Linux Kernel, supported at Ubuntu 9.04. Will have to wait or back-port the driver
  • WiFi card interfered with LMCE setup, fixed by disabling it in BIOS

Planned

Old Dell laptop with a great screen


Core / Hybrid

Home built AMD Athlon dual core 2.0 GHz

  • Processor - Intel P4 2.0 GHz
  • 2 GB main memory
  • 1 x 400gb SATA disk
  • 1 * 2 TB SATA disk
  • 1 * 1.5 TB SATA disk in USB enclosure

Orbiters

WinOrbiter

  • 2 running from the outer network on WiFi connected Windows 7 laptops.
  • 1 running from the inner network on Ubuntu 9.10 and Wine

Mobile

  • 1 iPad with RoamingOrb
  • 1 iPhone with RoamingOrb


Home control

I've added support for Tellstick and use this to control some lights with cheap Nexa wall warts and two built in switches. I've got some dimmers in the drawer waiting to be integrated as well.

Music

One Squeezebox 3, now running rom LMCE

Setup

Problems to solve:

  • Keyboard with US layout, change to Swedish
  • Remote not working due to IR receiver still not in place. Trying to use /dev/input/event in lirc, not OK yet

Network

Two networks, with wired and wireless in both.

  • Outer network 100 Mbps 192.168.1.x - including VOIP gateway, to be replaced by Asterix when I get some time
  • Inner network 1000 Mbps 192.168.80.x

Mostly loose cable, I have started to install Cat6 in a few walls.

Old equipment, just for reference

Core / Hybrid

Old Compaq P4

  • Processor - Intel P4 2.0 GHz
  • 512 MB main memory
  • 1 x 200gb IDE disk

Setup

Some notes on setting up 8.10 B2 (daily build 22828)

Core

Nothing special, followed the standard procedure.

Media Directors

Firmware file for DBV-T missing, solved with:

cd /usr/pluto/diskless/39/lib/firmware/
sudo cp /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw /usr/pluto/diskless/39/lib/firmware/ .

or:
cd /usr/pluto/diskless/39/lib/firmware/
sudo wget http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw

DVD not playable, even though the SW was installed at the Core

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 w32codecs