History about my Digital Home
After I read a Artikel in the german c't 23/2002 (  Sonderwege von Georg Schnurer ) a Success Story about a Digital Home Implementation, it was clear for me that someday I also want something like this.
I will write here about my experiences installing a LinuxMCE Server, I hope this time I will have success. I also want to share my Expirense to other users who maybe want to do the same.
The Development System should be a Playground to learn what can LinuxMCE and what not. I try to do a Hybrid Setup with a old PC. It's clear for me that it's not for production use, but before I invest more Money I d'like to have a complet LinuxMCE Solution up and running.
At my Home I have a Internet Connection to my local Cableprovider with a Bride, my Firewall is a Pfsense with 3 Interfaces ( WAN,LAN,WLAN ). This Firewall is my Defaultrouter. At the LAN Side I have a central Server with all necessary services ( DHCP, DNS Forward, ftp, smb,nfs,ntp, ) on a old Proliant. Now i have connected the LinuxMCE dev. Server Orion with the external NIC to this LAN and the other NIC is then the LinuxMCE Standard Net ( with the IP Range 192.168.80/24 )
Target is to setup the LinuxMCE dev. Server with MythTV and all other Services. I want live TV, scheduling and DVD / Video ripping, etc.
- Mainboard: Elitegroup K8M800-M2
- CPU: AMD Sempron 2200
- Memory: 512 MB DDR RAM
- HDD: 80 GB
- NIC: Dual GB Nic, NC304
- TV-Card ( DVB-C ): Mystique CaBiX-C2, DVB-C, HDTV / Mystique View CI-Interface (f. 1 CAM) PCI und 3.5" Variante / Conax CAM (Rev. 1.2) - 4.00e by Smit ( from dvbshop )
- TV-Card ( analog ): Hauppauge PVR-350
Hybrid Network Overview
Internet | | Firewall (def GW) ------( WLAN;192.168.Y ) | (LAN;192.168.X ) | ---------------|------------------------------------------------------------------ | | | LAN Server | Clients ( PC,Laptops, etc ) ( DHCP,DNS,nfs,smb,etc) | LinuxMCE dev Server Orion ( DHCP,Mythtv, Asterisk,etc ) | (LinuxMCE Net;192.168.80.0 ) | | ( LinuxMCE Test equipment )
Hybrid Install Logbook
-- Markab 22:01, 5 January 2009 (CET)
- after check out the Forum I decide to go with a DVD Installation I download the i386 and the amd64 images from the torrent mirrors describe on the Wikipage Mirrors 710
- With this DVD I was not able to do a Installation, stops every time right at the beginning. The question about the Harddisk overwrite does not come up.
- Luck that I found the DVD that provide Hari to me, with this DVD the Installation I was able to start the 32bit Installation and finish it.
- I try to follow this Installation Guide and found than the DVD Install Guide DVD Installation
- During the Installation I add my Monitor over the S-Video Connector from the PVR-350 but nothing appear. Only the VGA works. In the AV Wizard it is not clar for me what sort of connection should i take and why my TV-out from the PVR-350 does not work.
- I hear the sound and also did the House Setup Wizard, but I did not modify the Network as describe in the DVD Install Page ( found it to late )
- MythTV don't work, not clear for me howto setup my TV - Cards ( digital DVB-C and analog PVR-350 )
- Connection to Internet don't work, so I also can't update my Installation or install the DVD restricted Drivers
- remote connection from my lAN don't work, not clear what is wrong IP / routing ok
- check Graphikcard to support min. UI2 medium, maybe new Card needed
- Mediadirector needed to check LinuxMCE functonality
processor : 0 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD cpu family : 15 model : 44 model name : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ stepping : 2 cpu MHz : 1599.909 cache size : 256 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 1 wp : yes flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts ttp tm stc bogomips : 3203.50 clflush size : 64
00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01) Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17 Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M] Capabilities:  Power Management version 2 00:0a.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01) Subsystem: KNC One Unknown device 0022 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20 Memory at ea0c0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60) Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems Unknown device 1877 Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 21 I/O ports at e400 [size=256] Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA]) Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems Unknown device 1b45 Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16 Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M] Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] [virtual] Expansion ROM at e9000000 [disabled] [size=64K] Capabilities:  Power Management version 2 Capabilities:  AGP version 3.0
Summary Frist Day:
It's always really frustrating if you don't get any success. But I don't want to give up and try it again. If someone can give me a hint I really appreciate that! Thx Mike
Next steps: Wiki pages to check:
- Alx9r's Sample Setup
- DVD Installation
- Use a satellite/cable box with the PVR
- LinuxMCE Admin Website
- Selecting the Right UI
- Outside Access
Setup Production ( Planed )
Because my File Server is near EOL ( it's a old ML530 with Pentium3 in ) I will probably buy a HP ProLiant ML115 Generation 5 (G5). But this new Server has no PCI Slots anymore. Because it should be the Core, I need min. 2 Slots for the DVB-C Cards. At ARP I found a Expansion Box, PCI-E to PCI, with 4 Slots, that should fit my needs.
- SlimDevices_Squeezebox 3
- Popcornhour NMT Mediaplayers A-110
- First TV is a small one for the Fitness room maybe a Sony, because they have DVB-C Tuner link Sony KDL-26E4000