Adding new web links
|Version||Status||Date Updated||Updated By|
|810||Compatible||5 June 2011||Dan249|
|1004||Compatible||31 Dec 2011||Dan249|
It is possible to add new web links to the computing page. This technique tells Firefox to use the Bookmarks.html file, it does not use the bookmarks.html file by default. In order for web links to show up on the Computing page within an orbiter, you have to add the link in Firefox from a Media Director. Here is the easiest method for adding new bookmarks.
- Browse to Computing screen and select one of the preloaded "Web bookmarks". This will open up a Firefox browser on the Media Director.
- At Address bar type about:config ;note: make sure to put a colon between about and config; and press enter.
- Click the "I'll be careful, I promise" button.
- Either enter "browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML", without quotes in the filter or scroll down screen to that field.
- Double click that field which changes it to TRUE from the default false. Make sure you chose the right field.
- Browse the web like any normal web browser and when you find a page of interest
- Add your new bookmark
- NOTE: you must close the browser with File->Quit.
- Reopen the Computing screen,
- Your new bookmarks will be visible.
IMPORTANT: If you close the browser by using the LinuxMCE buttons at the bottom of the screen your bookmarks will not be saved!
Note: This works with the Firefox 3 versions provided with Linuxmce810 and Linuxmce1004!
Note: This works with Firefox 10.0.2 on LinuxMCE810