QOrbiter Media Player
This page exists to:
- Outline the theoretical function of the media player portion of the QOrbiter Application.
- Serve as a guide for developers to setup development environments and contribute
- Serve eventually as an api guide.
QOrbiter is an attempt to leverage Qt / QML to create a more engaging user interface. This user interface includes media. As such, it must have the ability to not only control media, but play it as well. While a more traditional approach can be taken with Media Directors and the like, the fact that QOrbiter also runs on desktop machines and mobile phones provides a unique challenge.
At some point, an implementation of a streaming device will need to include the possibility of: Passing a file reference to a dce-enabled trans-coding device, i.e. qMediaPlayer_Plugin. this dce enabled software device would act as the intermediary, responding to play, stop, seek, and other media player commands issued from a remote device like a phone. I hesitate to implement this method for desktop machines simply because it would lead to lowered quality video. but this is still in flux and i can be swayed.
The other option is to make the file system available via a dedicated network path, utilizing full bandwidth in the same manner that media director do when reading remote media.
- For Cores, Hybrid Cores, and Media Directors involves the traditional approach of wrapping dce around a media player. this will also include creation of a custom video component for use with qml ui's.
- For Desktop machines
- Windows - unknown
- Mac - Quicktime Player
- Linux - GStreamer
- For Mobile OS targets:
- Nokia N9 - tbd
- Android - Media streaming
- IOS - N/A at this time
- Symbian - tbd
- Desktop Target: None
- Core targets: None
- Mobile Targets: None