Sharp Aquos LCD
|Version||Status||Date Updated||Updated By|
Models with RS232 are full plug and play.
Listed in the manual of the tv.
|Canada||page 26 of this pdf||LC65D64U LC52D64U LC46D64U LC42D64U LC65D93U|
|USA||page 20 of this pdf||LC-65D64U LC-52D64U LC-46D64U LC-42D64U Lc-65D93U LC-52D92U LC-46D92U|
|page 36 of this pdf||LC-37D64U LC-32D64U|
Adding Missing Inputs 6 and 7
Input 6 is the only HDMI input that also accepts RCA audio input. I wanted to be able to use the TV's speakers in the absence of a more elaborate audio system (i.e. before I got my receiver set up). I accomplished this by connecting the analog audio out from my sound card to the TV's input 6.
The Acquos LCxxD6U/LCxxD7u device template doesn't list inputs 6 or 7. I added them by doing the following:
- In Admin Page=>Advanced=>Configuration=>Device Templates select "Sharp" from the Manufacturer list and "TVs/Plasmas/LCD's/Projectors" from the Device Category list. Then click Apply Filter and select "Acquos LCxxD6U/LCxxD7u" from Device Template. Click Pick Device Template. This will open the Device Template in another window.
- In the Device Template window, click Edit Audio/Video Properties. This will open yet another window.
- In the new window find the line starting with Inputs and click change/explain. This will bring you to the "What inputs?" screen.
- Click the checkbox beside "Input 6" and "Input 7". Click Save. This will bring you back to the previous screen.
- On that screen find the "Inputs" section. Copy the string in the text box to the right of where it says "Input 1".
- At the top of the "Inputs" section click the hyperlink Input 6. This will open a new window.
- Paste the string you copied two steps ago into the text box. Change the 1 in the string to 6 and click Add Code.
- Perform the last 2 steps for input 7. At the part where you change the number in the string, change it to 7.
- Click Update, and you are done adding the two missing inputs.
After adding the two inputs, restart the Setup Wizard and go to the TV section. Select input 6, and, once the TV has switched to input 6, replug the HDMI cable into that input. Note that you may need reboot or reload router for input 6 to be selected.
Setting TV to Respond to Power On Commands
Page 61 of the manual for the LC42D64U TV lists the RS232 codes that the TV responds to. Included in this list is are two sections: POWER ON COMMAND SETTING and POWER SETTING. For clarity, here is a table that explains what each of the commands in those sections do:
|Section||Command||What it Does|
|POWER ON COMMAND SETTING||RSPW0||Tells the TV not to respond to POWR1 commands when the TV is turned off.|
|POWER ON COMMAND SETTING||RSPW1||Tells the TV to respond POWR1 commands when the TV is turned off.|
|POWER SETTING||POWR0||Turns the TV off.|
|POWER SETTING||POWR1||Turns the TV on if and only if the TV has received the RSPW1 command and has not received a RSPW0 command since.|
Out-of-the-box the TV does not respond to the POWR1 power-on command. In order to get the TV to respond to the power-on command, I did the following:
- Connected a null modem cable between the TV and a computer running a terminal program. (I used my Windows XP laptop running Tera Term.)
- Set the terminal to 9600 baud, 8-N-1 and turned on local echo so that I could see what I was typing.
- Turned the TV on using the remote.
- In the terminal windows, I typed "RSPW1 " followed by enter. Note that all letters are capitalized and "RSPW1" is followed by three spaces. This command tells the TV that it should respond to the power-on command. After pressing enter, you should see the TV respond with OK in the terminal window.
- Typed "POWR0 ", enter to turn the TV off.
- Then I waited about 30 seconds for the TV to completely shut down and typed "POWR1 ", enter. The TV turned on!
From then on, the TV responded to power-on commands from the core/hybrid.
Another option, is to edit the device template through the admin page. Add the command <$"RSPW1 \r"$> to some command such as "#204 0". Then go to MyScenarios select a media scenario, add the command 0 to the scenario and test the command.