Sample User Setup
I have moved my sample user setup to the wiki topic Alx9r's Sample Setup.
Extensions I'd Like to See Added to this Wiki
- http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite/Cite.php for <ref></ref> style footnotes.
- http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions as needed for navboxes described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Transwiki
- A mainstream Common.css (I suggest just copying wikipedia's).
Stuff that ought to be in a "Newbie Portal"
- Pointer to FAQ
- Hardware Selection
- graphics chips that work
- discrete codes, RS232 control
- general considerations
- com ports
- some summary of what is currently being used and pointer to sample user setups
- LinuxMCE Installation
- What to Expect
- Things to Contemplate Before the Installation
- Network Topology
- VDR vs Myth
- Audio and Video Connections
- Things you'll Probably Want to Have for the Install
- a monitor to use during some low-level operations
- another computer connected to the internet and the core
- an ssh client
- a keyboard and mouse, wireless is nice, synergy also works
- Some Common But Non-Automatic Setup Steps
- adding support for IR Remote
- controlling RS232 AV Equipment
- Organizing Media
- Getting Help
- How to find and view logs (ie. /var/log/pluto, tail -f)
Pages Under Construction
How to Select Mainboards for Your LinuxMCE System - A guide dedicated to making the most crucial hardware selection decision: Selecting a Mainboard.
How to Select Components for Your LinuxMCE Computers - A guide to help you select all the other components that make up a good LinuxMCE computer.